47th Annual Legislative Caucus of the Congressional Black Caucus, September 20 – September 23, 2017, Walter E Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C.
Valuing Black Lives Summit
Friday, September 22, 9AM to 5PM
The Why and How of Emotional Reparations: defining “emotional reparations” as the concrete steps necessary to heal the emotional and psychological trauma caused by white supremacy and the anti-African narrative, as well as the reparations needed to bring an end to the trauma–once and for all.
The VBLS 17 panel of experts will include:
Adjoa A. Aiyetoro, Human Rights Lawyer and Reparations activist (Moderator)
- Dr. Maysa Akbar, author of Urban Trauma: A Legacy of Racism;
- Dr. Lisa Delpit, author of Other People’s Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom;
- Baba Leonard Dunston, Convener of the Black Family Summit of the Institute of the Black World 21st Century;
- Allen Kwabena Frimpong, Network Organizer for Within Our Lifetime;
- Kamm Howard, of N’COBRA, the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America; and
- Dr. Bryan Nichols, clinical psychologist in private practice in Los Angeles.
Child Welfare Braintrust
Friday, September 22, from 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Convened by Congressman Danny Davis, in Room 143A
“Trauma In The Village: How Are The Children?”
Among the panelists is Baba Leonard G. Dunston, Convenor of IBW’s Black Family Summit.
Haiti: Empowerment Beyond Our Borders
Friday, September 22, 2017 from 1:00 PM – 2:45 PM in 147B
Moderated by Dr. Ron Daniels, President, Institute of the Black World (IBW)
This issue forum will focus on efforts to support and build the Haitian economy and community with an emphasis on housing, education, and economic development. This panel will feature experts from the non-governmental organizations, the advocacy community, the U.S. government, and the Government of Haiti.
HR 40: Deconstruction of Institutionalized Racism
Friday, September 22, 2017 from 3:00 PM – 4:45 PM in 147B
Moderated by Dr. Ron Daniels, Convenor of the National African American Reparations Commission (NAARC)
Since its introduction in 1989, H.R. 40, the Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act, has sought to further a national dialogue on the plight of Africans-Americans in the context of slavery, Jim Crow, and other legally sanctioned forms of discrimination. With a renewed dialogue on the issue of reparations, both on the domestic and international levels, this legislation presents a real opportunity to create an official government-based discussion. This Braintrust will bring together commentators from a variety of positions to explore strategies for broadening the debate on reparations in an increasingly “post-racial” society.
- Prof. Verene Shepherd, Vice Chair, CARICOM Reparations Commission and Director, Center for Reparation Research at the University of the West Indies (UWI)
- Kamm Howard, National Co-chair, N’COBRA and member of the NAARC.
- Atty. Nkechi Taifa, veteran reparations activist and member of the NAARC
- Mabre Stahley-Butts, Movement for Black Lives Policy Table
- Panama Jackson, Co-founder, the award-winning VerySmartBrothers blog
- Atty. Adjoa Aiyetoro, veteran reparations activist, Co-convenor, Reparations Strategy Forum.
2017 Community Healer Awards Reception
Friday, September 22, from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Held at Saints Paradise Café, 601A M Street, N.W., which is very close to the Convention Center.
Recipients of the 2017 Community Healer Awards, who have distinguished themselves by their extraordinary accomplishments and deep commitment to our community are:
- Dr. Ron Daniels, Founder and President of the Institute for the Black World 21st Century
- Baba Leonard Dunston, Convener, Institute for the Black World 21st Century Black Family Summit
- Margaret Powell, Urban Educator and leader of the Emotional Emancipation Circle in Baltimore Zip Code 21217
- Symone Sanders, CNN Commentator
- Erika Totten, Organizer, #BlackLivesMatterDMV, #BaltimoreCeasefire
PLEASE NOTE — For those who the reception donation is a barrier, the organizers are now able to host up to 50 guests at no charge. They simply ask that you register here and bring your ticket with you.