And, people are also talking about the need for a guaranteed national income. The realities of technology replacing jobs, jobs being shipped overseas and the downward spiral of income require us to find new ways to provide income. A guaranteed national income would be one way to provide an economic foundation for every resident and make sure that we all benefitted from the growth in the economy. How to fund such a program? Many ways have been suggested, but one that should be considered is treating government funding of businesses as taxpayer investment so that taxpayers benefit as the GDP expands. The hundreds of billions in federal dollars and trillions of Federal Reserve dollars that have been given to the big banks should be seen as taxpayer investment, not corporate welfare and we should all profit, not just the 1/10th of 1 percent who receives those dollars. -more-
IBW21 (The Institute of the Black World 21st Century) is committed to building the capacity of Black communities in the U.S. to work for the social, political, economic and cultural upliftment, the development of the global Black community and an enhanced quality of life for all marginalized people.
- 50 Marcus Garvey Quotes August 4, 2021
- Runoko Rashidi, intrepid scholar of the global African presence August 4, 2021
- A bright spot amid Haiti’s woes: Its first mass rollout of COVID vaccines August 4, 2021
- Caricom leaders celebrate and stress the significance of Emancipation Day August 3, 2021
- Latin America’s resurgent left and Caribbean spurn U.S. policy on Cuba August 3, 2021