Information Updated Oct 13, 2023
Dr. Ron Daniels, President of the Institute of the Black World 21st Century (IBW), and Don Rojas, IBW’s Director of Communications and International Relations, will lead a delegation of distinguished civil and human rights leaders, scholars, activists and journalists on a solidarity visit to Grenada to participate in the commemorative activities honoring the life and legacy of former Prime Minister Maurice Bishop who was murdered, along with several of his colleagues, in a bloody military coup on Oct. 19th, 1983. For the first time since Bishop’s assassination, the Grenada government has declared Oct. 19th a public holiday and a day of mourning and reflection.
The IBW delegation is a follow-up to the historic State of the Black World Conference V, convened in Baltimore in April of this year where Prime Minister Dickon Mitchell delivered an inspiring tribute to Maurice Bishop as one of the highlights of the proceedings. “I am thrilled that PM Mitchell has taken the lead in resurrecting the legacy of Maurice Bishop, Prime Minister of the People’s Revolutionary Government as a powerful model of people-based, participatory engagement in the affairs of the state,” Dr. Daniels said. “It is an example which can and will inspire a new generation of leaders in the Caribbean and the Pan Africa World. We in IBW look forward to working with PM Mitchell and civil society organizations in advancing this process,” he concluded.
Institute of the Black World 21st Century
Delegation to Grenada
List of Participants
- Dr. Ron Daniels, President, Institute of the Black World 21st Century (IBW), Convenor, Pan-African Unity Dialogue (PAUD), Convener, National African American Reparations Commission (NAARC)
- Mr. Don Rojas, IBW’s Director of Communications and International Relations, former Director of Communications, National Association of Colored People (NAACP) USA, Press Secretary, PM Maurice Bishop and the People’s Revolutionary Government of Grenada
- Ms. Mary France-Daniels, Retired Educator, Secretary and First Lady of IBW
- Dr. Claire Nelson, Black Futurist, President of the Institute of Caribbean Studies, Founder of Caribbean American Heritage Month, USA
- Mr. James Early, Former Smithsonian Institution Assistant Secretary for Education and Public Service, Expert and Advocate for Afro-Descendants in Latin America and the Caribbean, International Affairs Analyst
- Mr. Herb Boyd, Journalist, Senior Staff Writer, New York Amsterdam News, Award Winner Author, Political Commentator
- Rev. Dr. Herbert Daughtry, Bishop Emeritus, House of the Lord Churches, USA, Co-Founder, National Black United Front, Author, Noted Civil Rights, Human Rights Leader
- Mr. Milton Allimadi, Editor/Publisher, The Black Star News, Assistant Professor of Journalism, Columbia University, Charter Member, Pan African Unity Dialogue (PAUD)
- David Abdulah, Economist, Founder and Leader, Movement for Social Justice, Political Commentator, a Leader of Federation of Independent Trade Unions and NGO, Trinidad and Tobago
Dr. Daniels will be available for media interviews prior to his departure for Grenada on Friday, Oct. 13 and Saturday, Oct. 14. To arrange an interview, contact email@example.com. PDF version of this media advisory available here.
October 16, 2023 special edition of Vantage Point: Honoring the life and legacy of Maurice Bishop featuring a conversation with Don Rojas
Dr. Ron Daniels talks with Don Rojas, former Press Secretary for PM Maurice Bishop. Topic: Honoring the life and legacy of Maurice Bishop, former Prime Minister of the People’s Revolutionary Government of Grenada.